Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Immersing Myself in Spanish

For the whole month of February I dove into a spanish immersion program in Mendoza. I stayed with an incredible host family and took language classes every morning at the Instituto Intercultural, in downtown. It was a great experience. Below is my spanish class, with my profesor, Enrique in the center.


My host family was composed of two absolutely amazing women, my host mom (or mama mendocina) Maria del Carmen, and her 19-year-old daughter Lula (my hermanita mendocina), who are both now my best friends here. The photo below was taken on my very first day in Mendoza, when my new family took me sightseeing around town, including the Cerro de Gloria where there is a giant monument to Argentina's national hero, General San Martin, who led the army who won Argentina's independence from Spain in 1816.

Labels: